Winner Area wrestling team placed 9th out of 16 teams at the Lee Wolf tournament in Aberdeen on Saturday.
Six Winner wrestles placed in the tournament:
- Tyrel Haley took third place as he won 7-6 over Shea Krause of Aberdeen Central.
- Kayleb Brozik placed fifth as he won 3-0 over Nick Christensen of Huron.
- Colby Curtis and Jayden Schroeder both placed sixth. Curtis lost 9-1 to Austin Cihak of Aberdeen Central. Schroeder was pinned in 2:34 by Josh Lasley of Canton.
- Ty Bolton took 7th place as he won 14-0 over Carter Canham of Miller/Highmore/Harrold.
- Taylor Watzel took 8th place as he was pinned in 2:08 by Ryan O’Connell of Sioux Falls O’Gorman.
“I really liked the way the team came out and wrestled,” said coach Matt Chambers. “They came out ready to go every match and battled all day long. Six of the eight wrestlers were able to place in a very tough tournament,” said the coach.
Chambers added: “I still think we are a little inconsistent in some of our matches but overall the boys had a good performances on Saturday.”
The next action for Winner will be at the Big Dakota Conference meet in Ft. Pierre on Saturday, Feb. 7.